The Indian rural market offers great opportunities to marketers. But how should they get it right? Here are five things to focus on while designing the marketing and communication strategy for rural consumers.
1. Look at rural as primary markets and not as second-rung opportunities.
2. Avoid patronizing in your marketing approach and stop handing over second-rate products for rural markets as opposed to first-rung products for urban markets.
3. Stay honest and straight-forward.
4. Stop believing in the myths of marketing. Rural has changed dramatically, and new rural marketing is complex and exciting.
5. Stop sending your under-performing managers as managers of the rural marketing effort.